Participatory Rural Development in the Mid-Central Atlas
The Government of Morocco is all set to encourage a better balanced and more equitable development, and to fight against the marginalization of the rural areas. In this framework, the project focused on the enhancement of social equity, poverty reduction, sustainable management of the environment and the natural resources, and the improvement of the situation of women in 12 rural communities in the Province of Khénifra.
- Conduct and analysis of socio-economic surveys and participatory appraisals, notably the management of natural resources, the potential of eco-tourism, and the need for micro-credits. Design and implementation of a micro-credit scheme.
- Participatory elaboration of local community development and integrated natural resources management plans, improvement of rural infrastructures.
- In-depth analysis (cost-benefit) of the mountain ecosystems and the locally applied agro-sylvo-pastoral exploitation pattern in order to increase farmers' income through intensification and diversification of farming systems and income generating activities; support to the valorisation and the marketing of timber and non-timber forest products.
- Organizational development and strengthening of capacities of the local population, creation of a centre for woman's promotion.
- Training needs assessment, elaboration, implementation and monitoring of training programmes (for administration, extension service, NGOs, local population).
Back to Selected References