Feasibility Studies: Eco-Regional Nature Conservation Programme for the Southern Caucasus, Phase III
The envisaged programme is part of the Caucasus Initiative, launched by the German Ministry of Cooperation and Development (BMZ). It supports the Georgian share of the Eco-regional Nature Conservation Programme for the Southern Caucasus (ENCP) which aims at the preservation of the outstanding biodiversity and natural ecosystems while at the same time improving the socio-economic situation of the adjacent communities. In this context DFS conducted two project preparation missions: The “Feasibility Study Kazbegi Project” assesses the risks and opportunities of the establishment of a Biosphere Reserve. The study “Programme based thematic approach” provides a feasible concept for an open investment programme which focuses on the enhancement of natural resources and protected areas management at system level and in selected areas.
- Assessment of policy and legal framework and stakeholder analysis.
- Socio-economic analysis, preparation of village profiles, implementation of trust building measures and a participatory planning process (FS Kazbegi).
- Situation and key problem analysis, definition of a thematic focus.
- Proposals to the selection of protected/ planned protected areas.
- Logframe design, including proposals for integrated nature conservation, sustainable livelihoods, participation and community enhancement.
- Analysis of the necessity for consulting services. Estimation of total costs and funding sources.
- Institutional analysis and preparation of organizational arrange-ments.
- Risk assessment, financial, social and ecological impact assessment.
Back to Selected References